Monday, April 6, 2009

Linking UNICEF and Big Brothers Big Sisters

Working with children for the past two and half years of my life has made me find an appreciate for their lives. I don't necessarily want children of my own but to me I think it is more important to help those children who are in desperate need of an adult role model. When I was in high school I worked for Arbys and every year we did a fund raiser for BB BS at a golf course and it amazed me to see the positive improvement on these kids lives.

Now I work at a Juvenile Court and teach the areas felons how to improve their lives and teach them the right skills. One outlet that I use now is BB BS. Most of these kids have no idea what its like to have fun in their lives with out using drugs and alcohol to get them by. It is so rewarding knowing that these kids will at least give the group a try.

The way that I will link these two is based on the reasons that they started. Both groups help out children and their mothers. BB BS concentrates on helping mothers and children from low income housing or mostly single parent families. If the child lives in a low income community he is more likely to be invited to join the program. UNICEF also concentrates on helping children and mothers who are in need. I can compare the two different communities because families in developing nations are also on extremely low income housing and income. These people need the help of assistance from these groups to continue to survive.

Differences between the groups include that UNICEF concentrates on a much broader scale of children and hits a bigger area of kids. UNICEF concentrates a lot on medical reasons to help children as well and helps remove them from abuse for example. BB BS just helps out children who come from low income housing and need adult guidance and better role models in their lives. Both groups work to better the lives of people in this world that need it the most.

No comments:

Post a Comment